I have many passions in my life. A lot of them are displayed in my blog and you get to see the things that God has given me and how I cultivate them, but I know there was a time when I wondered what my passion was. (and before we go any farther, let me just tell you now, that there is nothing wrong with having more than one) *hides* What? I’m not talking about myself at all. *tries to hide the categorized 15 totes with different crafting projects in the garage*
What is passion? Passion is something that you have a strong attachment or emotion over. Another word for what I am trying to get at is your gift. The gift/s that God has given you. How do we know that those are? Here are some tips to find yours.
1) Pray. Asking God never hurts anything, and if we are perfectly honest, only good can come from it. Asking God what He would have you do in life is the first and most important thing we can do. Asking Him to guide us and provide ways to discover what our passion is.
2) Don’t be afraid to try new things. Even if you fail miserably, there’s nothing wrong with trying. I know I have been there before, but I also know that a lot of people are either stopped by fear or by apathy. Fear says that you are worried about whether what you are trying will work for you or not. Apathy is just being too darn lazy to try something. “Psht, that’s too much work.” Honey, nothing good was ever gained by just sitting around.
3) What interests you? Do you love reading? Do stories make your heart sing? Maybe writing. Do you find fulfillment in encouraging others? What is a way you can use that more. Do you have a creative eye and enjoy working with your hand? What crafts draw you? If you’re like me, you’ve tried nearly all of them. *looks at the bins of yarn, fabric, supplies, and tools* Yeah. . . *sighs* Do you love music? Try to learn an instrument.
4) Stretch yourself to learn more. Sometimes the more you learn about something, the more passionate you become. Music was that way with me. I kept learning. Piano lessons are still a normal part of my life 16 years after starting them. Learning how to record and produce music, how to compose something harmonious. I am always pushing and learning new things. An excitement for learning will take you and your passion and gifts farther than you could ever imagine.
5) What do you find the MOST excitement/gifting in? This was what I struggled with. With so many things I enjoyed doing, I needed to pick some top priorities to follow or I was going to be stretched way too thin. I still struggle with this. But what are the top one or few things that you enjoy doing? Pray about it and ask God to help you hone into those specific things.
Giftings and Passions can be a calling just as much as they can be something we find enjoyment in or we can use to provide a living for yourself. I firmly believe that God has placed my writing and my blogging as a calling on my life right now. And I don’t take that lightly. It is a responsibility and I want and pray that I can honor and bring Glory to Him through all of it. Don’t put too light of an importance on what your passion is. It might just be what God uses to change the world.
How do/did you discover your passion?
By God’s Grace,